Friday, September 30, 2011

Jaén: The First Day Part 2

That was one of the longest bus rides of my life. After sitting at the bus station for 4 hours we finally left at 1:30pm. I kept drifting in and out of sleep for the first hour and a half or so. I was really paranoid that I would sleep through my stop, so I took very short power naps. By the last 45 minutes of the trip I was at that exhausted, I can’t take it anymore, almost emotional breakdown stage. Finally we got there.

This is Jaén...
(I didn't take these pictures.)

I grabbed a taxi and the taxi drivers were all very good natured and fun. They were giving me a hard time about how much stuff I had and one of them joked around that I must have brought my boyfriend in the large suitcase so I wouldn’t have to buy him a ticket. The other taxi driver got me to the hostel, I got checked in and dropped my stuff off. I really, REALLY wanted a shower, but if I wanted to have any chance at all of seeing any apartments I needed to get going. I just changed my clothes, slapped on a little deodorant and perfume and hit the road. I had brought a Jaén map with me, so as I strolled through town I would jot down numbers on the map of possible apartments that I saw on flyers. I called one, but the guy said he wouldn’t be able to show it to me today and the girls currently living there would be out on Saturday. I called another but it was already taken. It was hard to keep track of who I’d called and who I hadn’t. If I didn’t mind living with other Americans or Brits I could already have an apartment. I’m torn because I really just want to have a place to live so I don’t have to pay for additional days in the hostel.
(my hostel...Albergue Interjoven and Spa)

By the end of the day I was really tired and a little discouraged (although there really isn’t reason for that yet…I’ve only been here a few hours). This first few days are always just a jumble of emotions…excited for being here, sad at being alone, overwhelmed trying to get settled, etc. I sat down for “dinner” at a dessert shop and had a crepe with bananas and chocolate. The weather here is really nice right now, and actually warmer than I had imagined, so I sat on the patio. I mentally debated whether I should just live with the other Americans. It would be instant friends, instant community and the apartment is located in a really good location in between my two schools…but will I regret it once I have time to feel settled…that I’m not totally surrounded by the language like I was last year? I really want to keep improving my ability to speak Spanish.

I went back to the hostel, showered, met the girls I’m rooming with at the hostel one from Italy and one from Turkey) and relaxed.

I think there’s a party here at the hostel tonight. There’s loud Spanish music, laughing, clapping and I think dancing coming from one of the lower floors. I would go…I feel like I should go…but after traveling for 28 hours I’m kind of beat. That’s alright…there’s 9 months of parting and friends to be met ahead of me.

No comments: