Saturday, October 1, 2011

Moving in and getting settled

I received a message from landlord that I originally thought said he would be ready after 10:30, then around 10:10 I realized it said he would only be ready before 10:30. Quickly I texted him back and asked if he could still meet me. He said yes, but right now. I met him downstairs and he was flabbergasted by how big my suitcase was and said it was the biggest suitcase he’s ever seen in his life. He drove me to the apartment but I said I could take care of my bags by myself since he said he needed to be somewhere…then began the task of dragging 3 enormous suitcases and a backpack up 3 flights of stairs. We don’t have an elevator. This will be good for exercise, but awful for carrying suitcases. I finally made it up to the third floor and the door was locked with a chain from the inside. I rang the bell twice but no one answered, then I tried (unsuccessfully) to unchain it from the outside. Finally Luisa woke up and let me in. She is my German roommate that I hadn’t met the day before.

I started to unpack, then I realized I didn’t feel like it so I laid down for a bit…only to realize that although I have a blanket and pillow there was no sheet or pillow case. Off I went to Corte Ingles to get those things, and they were way more expensive than they should have been. I debated looking elsewhere or going to the mall but really just didn’t feel like a scavenger hunt so I forked out the money. I thought about going to the mall to get a couple other things but decided I needed food instead.

I decided to go test out Chippies, the restaurant that is basically my neighbor…just next door to our apartment building. I had chicken breast with almond sauce and fries. It was good, exactly what I needed. They seemed to have things that were a mixture of Spanish food and more standard international stuff.
My neighboor...Chippies restaurant and bar. How convenient!
The menu of this restaurant with more delicious food options.
Chicken with an almond sauce and french fries. They don't serve ketchup with your fries here, although you can ask for it...it's just not as normal as in the US.
I didn't know what an 'alpargata' was. Later I found out they are basically open faced sandwiches. I saw one at a different restaurant that looked like a loaf of french bread with ham and cheese and other stuff on top. Apparently 'alpargatas' are also a specific kind of shoe (see below).

I went back to apartment and actually got to talk to Ana and Luisa. Ana is from a town called Villanueva de la Reina, a town about half an hour away from here. Luisa is German and here studying economics. There is another girl, Antonia, that is living in the apartment as well, but she wasn't there and is apparently moving out in a few days.

I headed back to my room to start putting stuff together and ended up taking a nap. I woke up in time to realize it was Saturday, and that nothing would be open tomorrow so I ran to the store to get a few food items. After that I went to the bakery, came home, showered and did my hair in case someone called me to go out. I made tortellini for dinner while the girls got ready to go out. I thought I would stay in even though it was a Saturday. I hadn’t made plans with Kristin and Chris and didn’t really know anyone else. I relaxed on the couch and watched CSI while putting together some photo decorations for my room. Around 12:30 Kristin called inviting me to go out with them. I put my photo project away, did my makeup, threw on a dress and headed out. We went to one place that I don’t remember the name of, then to Tijuana. One by one people in our group ended up heading out, but Kristin and I were there until 7am. We were the only ones there by the end of the night and mutually decided maybe we shouldn’t stay *so* long next time. Haha.
 Anna (Chicago), Kristin (Texas), Kerri (Scotland), Minti (Chicago)
This is what happens when you make friends with the bartender...your drinks grow!

No comments: